Monday, September 21, 2009

DBW624 - MS SQL2005 backup and restore

I backuped my work at school using MSSQL 2005, then I want to restore it at home.
It successed resotre tables, but not the diagram. The diagram includes all the relationship of tables. If in a big project, it will take a whole day to recreate it. How I can restore the database without losing anything?
When I click the diagram part, it said the owner of the database is not current user. So I added a user in my Vista, the username and password are the same as what I was using at my school. I still can't get back the diagram. Maybe I need to use the created user to login my vista, and restore the database.
I also gave the created use administrator permission. But in school, I don't have administrator permission, so if I have done something at home, and I backup it up, when I restore it at school, I will have the same problem again -- I will lose the diagram after I restore it because the permission of the created user are different.

1 comment:

  1. Solutions found:
    At school lab computers (in T building not the library computers), I need to do start mssql server first, then I can use windows authorized account to attach a mssql file to the database.
    After I finished my work, I need to end mssql server, and zip, copy the mssql file to my usb disk or gmail account for future use.

    ReplyDelete