Monday, September 21, 2009

WIN210 - win2003 server installation

I found win2003 can't install on external usb disk or flash disk. So I bought mobile hard disk.
I our school, I found similar computer have same hardware. For example, if the computer in lab installed a mobile hard disk, so the motherboard is the same as the one in my classroom.
I tried to put my mobile disk in lab, it works. But there is one problem, I registed my win2003 license in classroom. When I install the same mobile hard disk in lab, it ask me to regist again. I tried to regist again, Microsoft said that this license has been used multiple times. I can't use this license again. Now I have 30 days to active win2003, otherwise, my win2003 will be locked.
How to get win2003 active again? I'm going to call the Microsoft registration and ask them. Because I also need to use this mobile hard disk at home. Luckly, my home motherboard is compatible to those computer in my school, I can use win2003 at home. My idea is to use one win2003 license on a mobile hard disk in 3 locations (classroom, lab, home).

2 comments:

  1. Today, I phoned Microsoft. They said one license only on one computer. I can't use the mobile hard disk in 3 computers. If I want to use it on 3 computers, I have to call them each time after I changed my computer to get the activation code. This is the solution otherwise I will lose my license. Now I have actived my win2003 server at home. I will bring the mobile disk to school to see if it will ask me to active or not.
    The next step is to test 3 locations active 3 times, the computer will ask me again to active or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final result is:
    if I changed my hard disk to another computer, I need to reactive the license. After about 10 times reactive the license from microsoft, I will be transfered to a microsoft person, he or she will ask me some questions, like "where did you get this software?", "how many computers are installing this software?". I said from school, only one computer installed this software, because I need to upgrade my computer.
    Another way to avoid calling microsoft is do a ghost before you remove your hard disk to another computer. After you changed it back, you do a ghost again to recover your hard disk. Maybe you will lose something what you did at school, like install Active directory, add users. You can save some screen shots in another patition which prove you have done the lab.

    ReplyDelete